The Grunewald Family

The Grunewald Family

Friday, July 23, 2010

First Grade Football

This year marks a lot of "firsts" for us...Max lost his first tooth, and then a second. He is starting first grade, and we are now in a new sport...football!

Max is excited to play a new sport, and we are having a blast watching him! I will admit that it was hard to let him go...his first practice was stressful just getting him out the door!

Max, you are growing so much! All of our friends and family have been commenting to me about how much you have grown lately! Tonight at dinner, you had two bowls full of soup, strawberries and for dessert, I laid out a plate of three cookies for you and your brothers to share. I came back and you had eaten all three! You told me before bed that you were hungry again...I think big grocery bills are in store for our future! We love your school, because it feels like an extended family. There are less than 60 kids in your grade, so we have grown to know and love the families that go to school with you. Seeing you all dressed up in your football uniform makes me get a lump in my throat....gosh, you are growing up way too fast!

Tonight, we had a great talk, and I am reminded of how sensitive you are. You have been asking both Greg and I to take you to get a gift for Sutton's birthday...you are always thinking of other people. And, you are very black and white on issues. I like that about you though...you have strong convictions of how you think things should be....
Here's to a great year in First Grade and in a new adventure with Football! We love you sweet guy! For all of our family that may want to see games, we don't have a schedule, but heard they will be on Saturday mornings...stay tuned!

I don't want to forget this....tonight when I put you and Sutton to bed, you started crying. I asked Sutton if he hit you, and he said, "no, I was just checking on him because he was crying for no reason". So I asked Max further and he said, "I don't want Sutton to turn 4 tomorrow" (and the bawling began). He told me that he liked how Sutton couldn't say the ABC's correctly, and that he liked him the way he was and didn't want him to grow up! (Note to self: maybe I say the things of my heart outloud....). The best part was, as Max is saying this to me, Sutton interjects "see, I told you he was crying for no reason"
Ahhh, the sensitivity of a 3, almost 4 year old!



4 comments:

Norma said...

Oh, I'm with Max!! I could cry, too.... I've been there, you know-with each of you girls! I can't imagine Max playing football OR me having to watch! I will look like I'm loving it but will be praying all the while... Love you all and so proud of the parents you've become! God has blessed these boys!! Love, Noonie

Molly said...

This is such a wonderful post. I laughed and cried both. The boys remind me of us and our sisters, ever so close. Max's heart so reminds me of his mama's heart. He is so sensitive Lar, you had to have a huge lump in your throat whiel hearing that. And then Sutton's comment! Crack.me.up! Can't wait to see you on Sunday!

Al's World said...

Max shouldn't be old enough to be in first grade!!!! I remember the shower we threw for him...now look! How time flies! You know I have thought many times, I can't wait to see how my kiddos are going to grow up to be, but at the same time I want them to stay the same!! Love you girl!

Fether said...

Laura...that is all too stinkin' cute! Your boys are so amazing! I couldn't show SI this post, he'd be bummed that he isn't getting to play football too! We are excited for 1st grade here! Should be a fun year! Love you guys!!